Tuesday, July 10

The Hardest To Learn Was The Least Complicated

As we grow up, I'm sure all the moms and dads out there tell their kids to be honest and nice, hence the infamous saying, "My mommy says we aren't supposed to tell lies."
Aww, ain't she cute! Haha. But well, there's another saying we learn as we get a little older and it goes, "Little white lies never killed anyone."
Why didn't anybody tell me the things you learn when you're older are the real truths and thou shalt not be a big idiot who blows everything by being too honest. Seriously, which idiot blurts out the honest truth every single time she's faced with a situation when a little lie will help everybody!
The answer is ME, in case you were seriously wondering.
The first time I was faced (and noticed) with this situation was during the IELTS speaking test, and the interviewer / invigilator / I-dunno-who said, "Tell me about a letter you received recently."
To which I replied, "I don't receive letters."
Yes, smart. This idiotic move was followed with nearly 2 minutes of silence where we sat staring at each other. Which was really wrong because she wasn't even close to pretty! Way too much make up on. But then again, without all that junk on her face she might have to reveal that she has tons of wrinkles on her face.
I guess she was in denial... And no, I am so not bitter over it.
Oh, yeah. I got a 7 out of 9 for that section which is not good. Not good at all. Damn woman.
So, the same situation happened again today. I was at an interview for the medic program at Monash and you know how all of these things go. You sit down bla bla bla and the inevitable "So, why do you wanna be a doctor?"
To which I, again, foolishly replied, "Cause I was brought up being told I should be one and that's probably the only thing I could imagine myself doing. Oh, and I guess the money is good."
Which are absolute truths. Seriously, up until like a month ago, I had no idea I actually had a choice on whether or not I wanted to be a doctor. But that's not really the point is it?
The point is I probably most definitely totally screwed up an otherwise perfectly half-screwed interview. Ironically, the interviewer was again a woman.
Damn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

geezz.. thumbs up 4 being da honest queen! O.o

-slur-

Niyi said...

eh! honesty is NOT smth u shud discourage me from embracing!
i hv a hard enuf time hving to force my kids to tell the truth and stop crapping lies like "i was so busy yest wv all the sch hmwok i cudnt do the small lil tiny itsy bitsy assignment u gave!" and later finding out he / she had NO hmwok at all. =.=