Tuesday, May 16

Happy Teachers' Day

Although I've quite forgotten about it, but today is Teachers' Day. In previous years, this day never meant anything more than just another day where we were called into the hall so some "representatives" can hand the teachers some presents and we'll refrain ourselves from falling asleep as the principal or whoever indulge us in yet another long-winded speech. Most of these ocassions always ends with one of us being "reprimended" by the prefects, or if Bee Kim is present, we might just get involved in a row with some cocky prefect.
Speaking of which, there was this time when we were all sitting in a circle during assembly to chit-chat and gossip when a prefect came forward to warn us and remind us to look after our behaviour. Well, just her luck that the prefect had to choose Bee Kim to push over who, by the way, wasn't talking at all. Hearing this, Bee Kim got totally pissed and snapped back at the prefect and as things became worse, Bee Kim decided to throw in a line saying, "You dare say another word I'll go report to A-Ho (our dicipline teacher)." and went on a lecture about how close she is to A-ho. But to our complete and absolute horror, that prefect turned out to be (wait for it) Mr. Ho's DAUGHTER!! To think all of us actually stood as a united front and took on the dicipline teacher's daughter by the throat, but anyway, all's well that ends well.
In short, it was just another unattractive chapter of my life.
But now that I have a blog and I've actually graduated, I can write things like "Looking back..." and "In those youthful days..." and not feel like a complete poser! Well, at least only a 90% poser lah~ Wei, this is MY blog, OK?
Anyway, I actually don't have that much to write about teachers' day. I mean I had a whole lot of great teachers in the past and I totally thank them all but it's not like they read my blog or anything. Well, OK, maybe Leong Wooi Min reads this. While on the subject of LWM, have I told you guys how totally kawaii LWM is? I mean seriously, I think it's clsoe to impossible to actually describe a teacher as cute in physical appearance AND personality but LWM totally is. And she has the cutest baby!! And to think I scored A's for both Moral and BM during SPM. I'm sure LWM must feel very proud of herself for actually being able to get a stupid and dumb me with totally no moral to score such a nice result.
Oh, and Tan Min Min! Haha, TMM actually has a paparazzi fan back in high school, that fan being none other than my class monitor, Huili. Sometimes Huili would drag me running around the school compound in our school uniform (not that I wore a pinafore to school but still, it's obscene just thinking about it) just to catch a glimps of TMM! And I would have to carry tons and tons of books so SHE could offer TMM a helping hand and get close to TMM. My god, Huili was totally obsessed with TMM. Unfortunately, I only scored a C5 for Chinese and TMM would probably go "Is that so strange? I always knew you were the dumb one." if she ever heard my result.
There are (of course) other teachers like Madam Chiang from primary school and Puan How who played a great part in my life. Mdm. Chiang was the first teacher ever who actually encouraged me to read more and reignited my fire for literature. Not showing off or anything but by Standard 5 I've finished most of Christopher Pike books and other things like The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew so I didn't have much left to read and stopped. Stuff byTom Clancy and his author friends were way too deep for me so seriously, I was lost. And there came Mdm. Chiang who lent me her Harry Potter books and got me interested in reading once again. I've come a long way since then, haven't I? And of course there's Ong Rose See whom I borrowed the Jane Eyre novel from and totally got me addicted to classicals. Till now, I still regard Jane Eyre as the best book I've ever read in my entire 18 years of life.
And then there was Pn. How. Well, how would I describe Pn. How? She wasn't the normal type of teacher that you would meet and completely warm up to but to me and a whole lot of other athletes and basketball players in school, she was a pillar of strength and the source of our dicipline in training. OK, she IS a dicipline teacher so that aint strange, but still, you get what I mean. Anyway, I believe 99% of those asked will agree that our school basketball team went into a slump after she changed clubs and during some times we actually thought in a few years, the club will have to close down. And she is the whole reason so many of us joined the athletics club and actually went to those trainings because she drove it into our minds that if we wanted to be a part of something and share its glory, we might as well be there during the dumps and take responsibility. If not for her, I seriously wouldn't give a damn for any kind of activity apart from basketball. I heard she has resigned her post as dicipline teacher to further her studies somewhere. Despite where she goes, for me she'll always be that teacher who never missed a single one of our trainings and took full responsibility over us even when we weren't in a competition.
To all of you, thank you for showing me the way. And to all my present and future teachers, I hope that when I leave you all, I'll leave with such fond memories of the hours we spent together.

No comments: