Sunday, May 21

Piracy

Piracy is really a big issue here in Asia where people want all their things fast and cheap... AND branded too.
Basically, I oppose all types of piracy except DVD's and CD's. I mean come on, there are seriously pirated household items such as Ajinomoto out there and there ARE people who buy it. What the hell is wrong with you people?
But DVD's. DVD's are in a whole different league. As we're all very very aware, the only easy way you can watch original movies here in Malaysia is at the cinema, so even if we had the money to patronize the cinema for every single movie, we probably won't have the time. And even if we had both of those at our expense, some movies aren't shown in Malaysian cinemas which encourages us to "invest" in pirated DVD's and VCD's.
Now, I'm actually all for supporting the movie industry and I actually patronize the cinema nearly once a week. Sometimes, I even watch the very same movie in the cinema, twice. But these cetak rompak-ed DVD's are a great convenience to us because they're so easy to obtain and they have a great selection. I mean, no more worrying about what the stupid Malaysian Board of Censorship (or whatever you call whoever that is banning Brokeback Mountain and Scary Movie) plus since we all know some movies premiers much much later on our shore in comparison with other countries, these pirated goods ensure we are always on the same "intellectual and cultural level" with other nations. I mean, who knows right? Maybe there will come a day when the British prime minister Tony Blake will phone up our prime minister Abdul Badaboom and go :

Blake : Good day Encik Badaboom, how have you been lately?
Badaboom : Oh, Mr. Blake, how nice of you to call me. I'm fine, thank you. Now, to what do I owe this honor, Mr. Blake? Don't tell me a man like you who have a whole country to run have the time to phone me up for a little bit of chit-chat.
Blake : Of course not! Well, let me get straight to the point. My Board of Ministers for the Invading Foreign Country Association have recently held a meeting and concluded to invade and assault your country if you can't answer my following questions. *does a Dr. Evil laugh*
Badaboom : *gasp* Whatever, I'll have you know that as prime minister of Malaysia, I find it very important to support my local economy so I watch every single movie in the cinema without fail! I'm sure you'll see no need to invade us. Now shoot.
Blake : I see, so this must prove as no problem for you. So tell me, what is the ACTUAL name of the movie you guys call "Super Sapiens"?
Badaboom : What? "Super Sapiens"? Which idiotic Hollywood low-life would come up with such an ugly name? *ROFL*
Blake : *clears throat* Might I inform you that it is YOUR country that came up with such a name? Now, the last question. Tell me a sypnosis of the movies Daredevil, Scary Movie 1 and Scary Movie 2.
Badaboom : Erm... I know!! That's a trick question! These movies never exist!!!
Blake : Too bad. *presses a red button with the word "Nuke" written on it*
Badaboom : NO!!!!!!!

See? Get what I mean? Who knows when one of these days a nation's very existence might rely on the fact that we've watched these movies before! So as they say, it is always better to prepare for a rainy day right?
But I'm straying really really far from the point here. The objective of this post : To complain about how much I hate the way these pirated DVD's constantly get stuck in the last few scenes!!
Gosh, if you guys (referring to DVD's) wanna bail on me do it at the starting so I won't be drawn into the movie and won't be dying to know how it ends! I was watching Pride and Prejudice just now and I was thinking "Woh~! The last love scene! The last love scene! Wohoooo!!" but no~!!!
That stupid DVD had to jam on me and I was stuck like 20 minutes before the end. I mean god damn it! Can't you jam somewhere else! If it jammed in the middle I could just skip that part and easily make out what happened by watching the rest of the show. OK, actually I already know the whole story all thanks to the Bollywood version of all things great, Bride and Prejudice, but I, the hopeless romantic, was really looking forward to the last scene!
Er... Fine! I'm not a hopeless romantic and I enjoy seeing people in pain but this show had a really hot male star and Keira Knightley is totally the bomb OK?
Oh, and until now, I don't know what happened in the end of The Big Fish all thanks to a cheap-ass (literally) pirated DVD. So, let us all join hands and keep our fingers crossed to hope that any alien or super-nation planning to invade our country will only question the starts of the movies.

4 comments:

Pat Kesonsukhon said...

Fake MSG? yeah heard of it...they even have fake vinigar and all other kinds of food...seen tons of it in thailand...there's even stuff like "Sonny" earphones...adidak or those weird names stuff that sounds like those...lil pathetic huh

Don't you guys have and movie rental shops here?
Where they'd buy all the real dvds/vcds and let rent for a week or something like that...

Had those back in thailand but never saw em here before.
Just love the fact that you pay less and can watch em as many times you want...or even secretly copy those cds if ya really like the movie...you'd get a copy with the same qualities as the real thing lol.

Niyi said...

well there used to be movie rentals but the price of fake DVDs are sooo low now that ppl jz buy it, so rentals are practically extinct....i tink. at least i hvn't seen a rental for a very very long time.

Anonymous said...

wat la niyi...theres a movie rental store just right in front on our houses... the row of shops there... hahaha... but im sure u didn't even went in at least once rite ? hHAHAa

- 'The Other Ming'

Niyi said...

huh?? oh wait!! u saying the one beside the restaurant and the car center ah!?!?!?
OMG!! i tot that was some indian movie cneter or what!? hahahahaha!!