Tuesday, March 27

What If God Was One of Us?

What kinda of question is that?! I'm already here aren't I? Wanna know what I'm crapping about?
Alanis Morisette - What If God Was One of Us.
Anyway, enough crap and let's get down to BZness! Oh wait, all I know how to do is crap. What the heck, let's resume crapping~ (^.^)V
Do you know how some times you get really bored so you just start looking up weird words in the dictionary? Well, I used to do this a lot. More out of wanting some bombastic to use in essays than boredom actually. But who's taking note anyway?
I looked up some pretty neat words with Slurrie during Bio class the other day and learned a few words like "beleaguered" and "inclement". And today while playing Word Dojo (Ah~ my beautiful arcade~!) with Kay I decided to think up those bombastic words (Ufufufu~ bragging rights!) and put it to good use for a while. Which leads me to where I'm going now.
Do you remember when you first learned the word "fortnightly"? Honestly speaking, I don't.
Anyway, back when we still had to obediently write English essays - not less than 350 words if my memory serves me correctly - did your teachers ever give you "magic power words" (in the very words of Farhan) to use so as to give the examiner a better impression and tricking him / her into thinking your command of the language in actually better than you're pretending it to be?
Well, I never had one. In fact, my english teachers were pretty useless crappers who came into class, flipped open a book and started dictating word for word while idiotic kids got busy being mindless ants feeding off every word she threw out. I mean, how stupid! As if brainlessly copying things have ever helped anyone?! Don't get me wrong, I think copying is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't become plagiarism but how is scribbling a heap of mumbo-jumbo in your notebook goona help with your english? By the way, paper is a very valuable thing in this world where trees are falling as fast as intelligence among politicians is so I doubt wasting it in such a matter is very "educated-person like". Idiots! And I can't believe those people became teachers without even an ounce of enthusiasm for teaching in their shallow souls.
I'm getting sidetracked here. What I was getting at just now was Farhan. He provides so much humor to my life. Anyway, he told me - after IELTS - that his English teacher once taught him to use "beeming with delight" in his essays to spice it up a notch. Ok, I mean it ain't that bad. But then he came to me saying something like 'Wei, I wasn't able to use that phrase just now! My teacher said using it will improve my marks eh! But *rubbing hands*, hehehe~ I was able to use a power word today! I was writing about 'gotong-royong' just now lah. At first I wanted to write monthly, but then it was too long. Then I thought weekly so short, so I thought "fortnightly"! Wah~ so cool! I used a power word in my essay! Haha! And I even wrote "kill two birds with one stone" (which was actually out of context) just now! So cool!! *imitates pao-san and shakes his head*"
Seriously, 18 year-old guy going excited over the word "fortnightly". But umm, he IS amusing, that much I have to give him.
So from now on, everytime I think / read / use the word "fortnightly", we all know who'll be on my mind.
And yes, he called himself cool for using it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur blog's completely irrelevant to the title.

waahahahha. n da word i still remember is inchoate. it reminds me of cocholate. probably coz it has cho and ate in it.

=.=

Niyi said...

ak!!! I hvnt ate lunch yet and the first thing i hv to read bout is chocolate! dang dang dang!
my tummy's rumbling. but at least my F=ma, a < 0. XD