Monday, August 21

The First Bite Is The Hardest

I've recently made a most profoundly useless discovery regarding fruits that would in no sane or plausible way affect any of our lives.
I don't know if any of you suffer from the same "First-bite-phobia" as me but while eating durian today, I suddenly realized that I was very hesitant and doubtful of the first bite I was about to make. Will it taste bad? Bitter (not that I know of any bitter tasting durians..)? I don't know. In short, I just didn't know what kind of taste to expect, or rather, unexpect.
Reminiscing (Wow! I make my crap-thoughts sound so professional), I realized too that durian is the not only fruit I'm afraid of. OK, it's not really fear of the fruit itself, it's mostly fear of the unknown territory. Again, I make it sound as though I'm going to war or something but to quote Ms. Janna, "An academic essay is not really about how well you know the issue you're writing on, it's how much you can assure and persuade the reader to believe you know everything about that issue."
So yeah... I get this same FB-phobia every time I eat certain fruits such as mango, papaya, grapes or something in that region. It's like, before you eat it a series of thoughts fly through your head like "Worms!", "Strange test!", "Too sour!", "Too squishy!" and etc etc. It's mortifying. Every time I look at a plate of freshly sliced mango being served on the table, I would have my doubts about eating it and more often than not just pass on it. I would rather miss a good tasting fruit then experience its bad tasting counterpart.
There's one fruit though, that have never gave me any sort of fright what-so-ever: Watermelon.
I mean, let's face it.... Most of the time it just taste like water with fibres, how bad could the worst one be? Hence, I've voted this big round fruit as my favourite fruit of all.

Updated:
Some times, this phobia reaches a certain degree where I feel like escaping my mom's constant nagging to eat more fruits is like making out of a harrowing situation with all four limbs attached. If you think I'm over-reacting, you would be stupefied by the lengths my mom takes with her unrelenting determination to force-feed me with fruits I solemnly detest.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*slaps head*

when u c food, dun hesitate unless they look reli crappy. but if they dun, juz open ur mouth n stuff it in. thinking bout all those nonsense u mentioned is a psychological disorder dat is bound 2 drive u up da wall if u spend another 5 seconds pondering bout it. then starting from da next 5 seconds u'll sit in a corner counting how many hairs u hv i predict. c? i make stupid things sound serious. =p

Niyi said...

um, wait who are you?
by the way. have I told anyone that i've actually tried to "calculate", through very scientific means,the length of the hair on my forearms? And by "scientific means" I meant a plastic ruler.

Anonymous said...

oh so did u pluck da hair out 1st?? coz if u din it's not reli accurate. u ought 2 pluck it out 2 measure. y not use dat vernier thingee 2 measure how thick izit oso??? *rolls eye 2 da max*

Niyi said...

um, yeah i plucked it out. i forgot how long mine is but my fren had an average length of 2.5 cm per hair man!!!

Pat Kesonsukhon said...

heck you've gone insane pluckin hair out to measure. -_-"

And now that you've mentioned about all those thoughts before the first bite...it sure will haunt me also thanks to you!

Niyi said...

see? i bet ALL of you have this weird sort of alfe-bitephobia but u jz don realize it. it haunts the soul in its peaceful dwelling!!