Friday, August 11

The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly In The Planes

Today, I had my official first ever real General Paper lesson.
Since Mr. Derek went abroad for a couple of weeks, this lady called Ms. Jana took over for him and by jolly is she cool or what, dudes and dudettes!
She rocks so hard she would put Jack Black to shame!
First of all, let me just say that in this post, I would try my best to emulate her so be warned about some bombastic words that might jump out (Wana know why I used "huge" for the font size of this word? Cause it's jumping out at you~! Haha, I'm lame. I know and I've already accepted this as a fact) at you. From now on, Slur and I are on a mission to alleviate our standard and command of the English language and will try our best to incorporate “classy” (in other words, usage of normally-unheard-of-words in the Manglish culture will be our main objective here) words and eliminate, to the greatest extend, our tendency towards speaking “rojak” English. So that means “lah” and “ma” and the likes of it will no longer show its presence amongst our conversation anymore. I’m still in the “Ms. Jana Craze”, and despite the similar names, the only resemblance Ms. Jeeva bares to her is their professionalism in blatantly gunning down wayward students in class, namely crap-ers like Farhan and Yin Pang.
Ms. Jana came in a bit late, like say 20 minutes in a one hour class…. But I say "What does that iota of time means when you think on a larger scale where even her presence for 40 minutes can indulge us in the experience of having our first real English language class?" Because of her Malaysian-timing, at first a few of us were a little pissed-off by her and were grumbling our way to class but I assure you, after 40 minutes of her time, you wouldn’t want to be anywhere else anymore.
She was so proper and professional in everything, the teaching and way of talking and as I mentioned earlier, handling “crapper”s. I’m sure that after a single one of Ms. Jana’s class, Yin Pang will think twice before he opens his gap in GP class again. She had something to say about everything he said and was able to substantiate her replies with unfamiliar words and complete authority. Her quote for the day? “So he’s the class “crapper”, is he?”
Anyway, in her 40 minutes of class, she was able to bring into play the words like “zealous”, “prowess”, “superfluous”, “bombastic” (even the way she says this word makes it sound cool), “substantiate” and a few others I’ve forgotten. In my entire life, I have never even heard “zealous” being utilized in a conversation whereas Ms. Jana effortlessly followed it up with so many more “classy” words.
But the main point of the day was SHE WAS ABLE TO SHUT YIN PANG UP, and for anybody who doesn’t know who Yin Pang is, trust me, that pie-hole of his is not an easy one to close.
Gosh, Ms. Jana~! Such contrast when you put her side-by-side with Ms. Jeeva! That must be why Mr. Shakespeare said, “Oh, what is in a name? A rose by any other name, will smell as sweet.”
Here she has clearly proven that it’s the context much rather than the glitzy cover that radiates supremacy.

No comments: