Saturday, June 17

It's Only Words.

Ok, so you guys know about those stupid SMSes where they ask you to “Describe xxx friend in one single word.”? To tell you the truth, I hate those kind of messages. In fact, I hate most messages or emails that are just blindly forwarded to every single contact in your address book or Friends and Family number list, regardless of what meaning it holds.
Anyway, that’s not my point. Just now, I was thinking, instead of describing a friend in one word, why don’t I try to describe MY LIFE in one word? Or at least find a single word that could signify as large a portion of my life as possible. Now, this might come as a surprise to all of you as, well, frankly speaking, I’m not that well-known for being able to keep my mouth shut, or in this case, try to fit such a long story into a single word. However, I would like to argue for myself because, let’s face it, how can any of you possibly fit 18 years of life into one single word? Unless you’re going to invent a word like “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and give it your very own meaning that could span a few pages, I would say it’s not my fault I’m having so much trouble with this task. Oh, in case any of you were wondering, that unrecognizable word is the title from the album “Classic Disney Volume II” and is the soundtrack from Marry Poppins.
Allow me to stray from the point a wee bit here. I don’t get what the big deal about this woman who dresses in the dullest looking dress ever in the world and travels around town with a black umbrella is about. Honestly, so she could state the obvious that a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down but even my grandma (May she be happy as an angel in heaven) who have had no prior formal-education could have said that. Actually, I ever really watched Marry Poppins so correct me if I’m wrong here; she jumps down chimneys with a black umbrella? No wonder it’s black! And do I sense some Santa Clause-wannabe here?
Going back to where I started. I wanted to describe my whole entire 18 years of life in one single word and couldn’t come up with any. On the contrary, I came up with a lot of words I CAN’T describe my life with.
  1. Magnificent. Don’t make me laugh. Which part of jumping around town (literally) sounds magnificent? If you would like to say someone like Albert Einstein is magnificent you might be forgiven because although his fashion sense is worse than MShern’s or Farhan’s, at least there was a single point in his life where all else seemed insignificant and his star shone the brightest of all. OK, I bet there were loads of moments of that sort in his life but I’m just giving an example here.
PS: I’m still holding a grudge against Farhan’s terrible choice of clothing when I went Father’s Day shopping with him.
  1. Astonishing. Again, I repeat: “Don’t make me snort milk out of my nose as a result of laughing too hard”. Oh, wait, maybe I might be able to live up to this as I think it takes a lot of stamina and a brain that is able to process crap information at the rate of 1 million words per second to be able to be as lame and stupid as me, AND voice out all those lameness and stupidity.

  2. Happy. Right, yes…. Now this might be acceptable. Let me think for a sec here. Oh wait, suddenly images of bad days where I feel like killing myself and taking the whole human population with me is entering my head. Oh, and some times it even drags on for weeks and I start getting these weird ideas of building a machine that could contact the alien world and maybe request them to invade our world like in “War of the Worlds” or something, anything that could end my miserable life and create misery for the rest of the population that’s still living 6 feet above me.

  3. Calm. Did you miss the part about me jumping around everywhere I go? For fear that your answer is “yes”, let me repeat it: “A hyperactive monkey that is high on weed or any other drugs that is similar to the head-banging pills you get at parties would have a hard time trying to keep up with my activities when I’m in normal mode. When I’m in hyperactive mode, an atom that is highly charged and heated banging around a box with no resistance what-so-ever to its moment might be able to catch up with me.

  4. Black. Now some of you must be going “Toot?” and believe me, I didn’t choose this adjective for myself either. I was asking San to describe me in one word and that’s the best she could come up with. Talk about lack of imagination…. *sweats*. Anyway, it is true though, I have been tanned for as long as I could remember but if memory and photographs of my childhood serve me right, I didn’t use to be this way and since it only describes the outer shell of me: REJECTED!!

  5. Complicated. This might be partly true because I do have a lot of little secrets going on for me and it gives me such motha-tooting headaches at times but I’ve thought about it and realized, the only reason my life is so complicated is because I refuse to step up and make things right. You know some times you feel like life just shouldn’t be this way and someone your age shouldn’t suffer so much but when you really think about it, the only suffering you’re experiencing is the doubts in your mind and the lack of courage to end it all. I don’t mean “end it all” as in kill yourself; I meant it as in end all those worries and just be alive. Stop caring so much and started saying what you mean.

  6. Hard. This is probably the furthest from the truth that I can get. I complain a lot about a lot of crap but when you take it all aside, I have a pretty easy life. Most of the people I know do. It’s just that human greed where we’re never content that makes us craze for more and make life hard for ourselves. I mean, it’s not like we have an evil stepmother asking us to scrub the floor with a toothbrush everyday or something, right? We just have those occasional exams which make us loose all our hair for a brief moment but in the end, they always grow back. Or maybe those months where we overspend and end up being broke for the last week of it but the next month comes and none of us starve to death. In a nutshell, we have it easy.

I’m not smart, I’m not rich, you could say I don’t have anything special which would make every other moment in my life seem tiny in contrast, but I guess one word which I can use (with plausible reasoning) is “lucky”. Why? Ask, Farhan, he would agree too because one of the evidence was shown to him yesterday when I totally trashed him at the MSN Minesweeper game where I just blindly pressed on buttons and scored continuously, even though I had no idea what the numbers were.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do u mean u had no idea what the numbers were. you're a minesweeper expert la.. besides i always play minesweeper using left+right click technique.. the msn version cannot do that..so gotta take some extra time analyzing the surrounding boxes :(

and how come lady luck is always with u!? she is soo gay -_-
hehe..btw nice logic thinking skills. I'll beat u 1 day! =)

Niyi said...

I know what the numbers are lah but i meant like, i just press at a totally blind area but i keep scoring pulak. haha. who said gayism doesnt pay ha? Lady Luck, come to me!!