Wednesday, June 21

Smart Translators

You guys know Malay, right? OK, all of you do except Pat. Anyway, ever watched English movies that turn out to be kind of boring so you start reading the subtitles below to entertain yourself and you find yourself laughing your head off? Chances are, you're reading the Malay subtitles then.
Anyway, I told you guys I went to watch "16 Blocks" with MShern and Farhan right? So, there came this part where some guy shouts (pardon the vulgar word) "Fuck off!". Surprisingly, all 3 of us just happened to read the subtitles at that time and guess what we saw?
"Pergi jumpa hantu!!"
Seriously, I never knew the F word had such a meaning. "Jumpa hantu"? By the way, Pat, that phrase above means "go find a ghost". I mean, out of all other translations such as "Celaka!" (which I think means "bastard") or "Pergilah kau!" which means "go away", they had to use "pergi jumpa hantu"! It's as wrong as Pat saying the prawns are bouncy and the noodle jiggle-ly! Rude and lame joke alert : The next time you need to fuck, just take out an Ouiji board, call up some ghost and get the party started. The best part of it all? I doubt dead people have STD, neither can they get pregnant. I mean even if they DO get pregnant then the baby would be a ghost and as far as I know, ghosts don't eat or what not right?
And I think I've complained about this many times before but I just can't stand the way Astro always translates "a couple of" as "dua" which means "2". I know "couple" means two but "Hell-o?!" in this context it means, "some"! I wonder how much they pay these translators. I bet the fees are low so only the dumb ones go to work for them. Oh, best chaotic translation I've ever seen? Remeber the movie "Day After Tomorrow"? It was this really awesome movie where global warming bring forth the end of the world and hence the question is what will happen the day after tomorrow after the world has ended. Anyway, those smart-ass people translated such a meaningful title as "Lusa"!! OK, fine, I know "lusa" literally means day after tomorrow but come on, it's just wrong! It's like the time they translated "Hellboy" which was shown in Malaysia under the title "Super Sapiens" as "Manusia Super", or was it "Sapien Super"? Well, it was somewhere along those lines.
Oh, on a side-note, Farhan's lameness reaches new bounderies. For a few moments in MSN, he put his nickname as "pergi jumpa HAN-tu". So the next time you ask someone to fuck off, you're actually asking them to go meet Farhan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaahahah~
i dunno if i've told u this, but i was watching lord of the rings on vcd and got 1 part where the person shouted "NAZGUL!!!" ..and the subtitle wrote "LET'S GOOO!!!"

Pat Kesonsukhon said...

Go find a ghost?!?!
well, they're try to be creative like me. *brows*
and corrections...I did not say the noodles were jiggle-ly...you made that up!...you're even worse then me!!!
HAHAHA Jiggle-ly noodles...it's even worse then my jiggle-ly eggs.

Niyi said...

oo~ u said the eggs were jiggle-ly! i was trying to remember what u were talking bout, XD.
Nazgul = Let's go?!?! i nvr knew that. oh my god, i need a lot of checking up to do....